Valuable resources for Parents/Guardians to student success. IF you have any questions, please direct your questions to your teacher.
March 8, 2020 – Theory & Ear Training Test Day
March 14 – March 15, 2020 – Piano Performance Evaluations Days
March 22, 2020 – Strings, Voice, Winds Performance Evaluations Day
April 18, 2020 – Branch Honors Recitals
November 13, 2019
Just a simple encouragement to all students working diligently on their music studies in preparations for CM 2020. Enjoy the process with your teacher! Enjoy the music!
October 18, 2019
If your student’s teacher has created a CM 2020 application, you should have received an email from MTAC State Office notifying you of this application.
Sign the online waiver/consent.
Verify and confirm your student’s info and participation online.
Online payment for CM fee is live now.
Payment deadline is November 5, 2019. Payment portal will CLOSE on November 5, 2019 at 11:59 p.m.
CM applications NOT PAID by deadline will be voided by the system.
Welcome Letter to Parents from MUSIC TEACHERS’ ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA
The Music Teachers’ Association of California® (MTAC) sponsors a music study program entitled Certificate of Merit® (CM). Initiated in 1933, the CM Program now involves approximately 27,000 students annually statewide. There are evaluation opportunities for students of Piano, Harp, Violin, Cello, Viola, Voice, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Saxophone, Bassoon, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Euphonium & Tuba.
The goals of the CM Program are:
- To develop practical goals to help students maintain a steady and focused approach to their musical studies.
- To encourage students to strive for musical excellence.
- To create opportunities in which students may share their music with others.
• A detailed CM Syllabus has been created and designed for each of the above-mentioned instruments. There are specific set requirements for each of the eleven CM levels. Your child’s teacher will decide on the level that is appropriate.
• The Student Application Period takes place from October 1 through October 31. Your child’s teacher will create an application for your child through our secure online system at www.mtac.org/login. Students must be age 5 or older as of October 31 (the CM Application Deadline) to participate in the CM Program.
• The Parent Payment Period takes place from October 1 through November 5. During this time, you can log-in to your Parent Portal at www.mtac.org/login to pay for your child’s application.
• Students work with their teachers on selected literature, technique elements, sight-reading, theory and ear training for their enrolled level.
• Enrolled students participate in an annual Evaluation program, which is conducted from mid-February through April throughout the state of California.
- Based on the Evaluation, students receive a written performance assessment by a State-approved Evaluator.
- Students will also complete a written theory exam, which includes an ear-training test component.
- All written results and theory tests are provided to the student by their teacher after all evaluations are
• Upon successful completion of all components of the evaluation, students receive an official MTAC CM
- Senior medallions will be awarded to eligible high school seniors.
- Students who have applied for Convention Recital performance and demonstrate exceptional skill at his or her evaluation may be selected to perform in annual MTAC State Convention Recitals.
I know that you and your child will benefit tremendously from this wonderful educational opportunity and experience. Please consult with your child’s teacher for more information regarding registration and preparation.
MTAC CM State Chair
September 16, 2019
Welcome to a new year of Music study!
As you may know, Certificate of Merit (CM) is a systematic music curriculum of Music Theory, Sight Reading, Technique, and Repertoire. CM has 11 levels Preparatory to Advanced. Each level builds on the previous level. MTAC State CM Office and the Pasadena Branch recommends all students study each level for maximum benefit. Skipping levels is generally not beneficial to the students as developing important artistry skills would be missed. Your student’s teacher will be preparing your student to do his/her best!
In order for the teacher to create a CM Application for your student…the parent/guardian should…
1. give the correct spelling of your child(ren)’s name(s)
2. give correct school grade for each of your student(s)
3. give your email address that the teacher can send the MTAC CM link to you.
Once the parent/guardian receives the MTAC State Office email link, open the email as soon as possible to verify your student’s information and click “Confirm/Submit” Application.
When the CM Application is created, parent/guardian is able to pay the CM Fee.
Parents/Guardians, please spend a few extra moments to make sure all information is correct BEFORE the CM Fee is paid.
online payment period through the parent portal is October 1- November 5, 2019.
Note the new deadline….November 5, 2019 11:59 p.m.
No payment is accepted after November 5, 2019.
Best to a new year of successful music study!
MTAC Pasadena CM Branch Committee